Nettle (Urtica dioica)
for cleansing, strengthening
Eat nettle for health.
Nettle is ideal after antibiotic treatment. It’s good to use it after long-term diseases or poisoning with heavy metals. Nettle can strengthen and cleanse the body, improve the condition of the skin and hair, and even prolong youth.
Traditionally, in folk medicine, the nettle is used at anaemia, iron deficiency, cleansing the blood, restoring strength, general weakness, rheumatism, arthritis, diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract, mild prostate hyperplasia, liver diseases, catarrh of the gastrointestinal tract, ailments caused by acidification and toxins.
Nettle leaves are collected by cutting the shoots on sunny days. After that, you should spread out a thin layer of nettle for drying in a dark, dry place. Shake it before, so that no leaves are sticking together.
Stinging Nettle – properties
sStinging nettle [Urtica dioica] is a valuable medicine and an excellent cosmetic. It is one of the herbs that can be used every day. The whole plant works in a supporting way – leaves, root and fruits. May nettle has the most values. Every herbalist knows that the nettle works most effectively when collected fresh from the end of April to the beginning of June. After the season, it is worth reaching for dried nettle tea.
How does nettle juice work?
+ It activates the immune system.
+ It stimulates the creation of interferons – a natural weapon against viruses.
+ It regulates the metabolism.
+ It’s an anticoagulant.
+ It regenerates internal organs.
+ It improves the work of the pancreas.
+ It strengthens and regenerates weakened after the disease, tired organism
+ It detoxifies toxins and harmful metabolites, e.g. uric acid and chlorides.
Nettle leaves contain many active compounds, e.g. large amounts of well-absorbed iron and folic acid. Organic acids, tannins, mineral salts, vitamins. Large amounts of chlorophyll can prevent anaemia, and enzymes and plant hormones generally strengthen the body.
Nettle is counted among plants which “cleanse blood” – it facilitates excretion of harmful metabolic products. At the same time, it improves metabolic processes. Nettle increases the level of haemoglobin and red blood cells. It works anti-haemorrhage, stimulates the secretion of digestive juices, lowers blood sugar and increases immunity.
Check our recipes for nettle treatments below, choose one or few you like most and try them! Don’t worry; they are all simple to prepare. If you like these homemade nettle goods, feel free to leave us a comment!
Nettle Juice - for cleansing, strengthening and beauty
- Pass 1-2 handfuls of young nettle leaves through a meat grinder or crumble them with a mixer.
- Add some boiled water.
- Nettle Juice should be stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 4 days.
Just 1-2 tablespoons a day can cleanse the blood and improve morphology. Nettle Juice will strengthen the body, improve the function of the liver and kidneys and rejuvenate the skin. After 2 weeks of applying the skin takes on a nice colour, it becomes fresh and nourished. Acne may disappear and the condition of the hair will improve.
Nettle juice can be combined with juices from fresh fruits and vegetables, eg from carrots or apples.
It’s highly recommended when the body is exhausted, weakened, e.g. after chemotherapy, but not only.
Nettle Tea - for cleansing and strength
- A handful of fresh leaves or 2 tablespoons dried pour over a litre of boiling water.
- Keep under cover for a few minutes.
- Strain, pour into a thermos and siphon all day.
Nettle Tea cleanses and strengthens the body. It improves metabolism, accelerates the excretion of toxins, lowers blood pressure and regulates the level of sugar in the blood. It enhances the functioning of the liver, kidneys and urinary tract; it works diuretic. It improves the appearance of the skin. It is externally used for washing oily skin and as a hair-strengthening lotion that reduces dandruff and seborrhea.
Nettle Tea with yarrow and calendula protects the body against destruction.
Nettle Tea with Horsetail - for the healthy urinary system
- Mix nettle leaves and horsetail in equal proportions.
- Brew the herbs in a glass of boiling water.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
Drink Nettle Tea with Horsetail once a day for prostate problems, for oliguria, for urinary tract infections.
Nettle Oil - for concentration disorders
- Place 30 g of young nettle leaves in a mortar until mush has formed.
- Add two spoons of olive oil, mix thoroughly.
- Apply daily before bedtime.
Rubbing temples and chest with nettle oil helps to distract and forget (according to Saint Hildegard).
Nettle Nuts - supplement nutrients
- Collect (and dry in a ventilated area) green clusters that appear at the top of the nettle in mid-summer.
- Pour one teaspoon of dried fruit to a glass of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Drink as a dietary supplement with vitamins and minerals.
Check our homemade recipes for nettle cosmetic below, choose one or few and try them! Our nettle cosmetics are all simple to prepare. If you like effects of these on your skin and hair, tell us about it in a comment!
Nettle Hair Restorer - hair strengthening, works against alopecia
- Pour 100 g of fresh nettle leaves in ½ litres of boiling water.
- Let it stand for a ½ hour under the cover.
- Strain it.
- Soak a towel in the liquid and rub your head vigorously for a few minutes.
Nettle Conditioner - for damaged and problematic hair
- Tear to pieces freshly harvested nettles (use rubber gloves).
- Toss with the stems into a litre jar, stuff it slightly.
- Pour the spirit (alcohol) to a full and tightly tighten.
- Set aside in a dark and cool place (e.g. to the basement) for two months.
- Strain the liquid and pour into handy bottles.
Wash the scalp with our homemade Nettle Conditioner immediately after washing, do not rinse.
Nettle Conditioner strengthens hair roots. It can also prevent hair loss and baldness.
Healing Nettle Bath - for sciatica and neuralgia
- Pour five full handfuls of roots, stems and leaves of fresh nettle to 4 litres of cold water.
- Allow it to stand for 12 hours, then bring to boiling over low heat.
- Strain and pour the decoction into the water of the bathing water.
- Bath for 10 minutes.
After bathing, immediately go to bed and cover the heat.
Do not throw away the stung nettle. You can use it for bathing the next day.
Nettle – Culinary Recipes
Add nettle to your everyday culinary routine! Check our recipes for salads, soups, and more tasty dishes with nettle.
Nettle and Dandelion Spring Salad
- Chop a handful of young nettle leaves.
- Add a small chopped onion.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 spoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add one spoon of linseed oil or olive oil.
- Cover the top with two handfuls of chopped green parts of dandelion and walnuts.
Vitamin Salad with Nettle - supporting slimming
- A handful of young nettle leaves
- One stalk of celery
- One cucumber
- One boiled egg
- Coloured pepper and rock salt,
- Linseed oil or olive oil.
- Rinse the young nettle leaves with boiling water and leave them on a sieve to drain.
- Cut the celery into strips, cucumber into cubes.
- Chop finely hard-boiled egg.
- Mix celery, cucumber, add nettle leaves with salt, freshly ground pepper and olive oil.
- Cool in the fridge.
The salad provides a whole range of vitamins and minerals, has a beneficial effect on the digestive system, helps to cleanse the body of toxins, improves water retention, promotes slimming. Note: You can replace cucumbers with tomatoes, add crumbled feta cheese as the finish – add what you like most in salads to obtain the best taste :).
Nettle Soup - for anaemia
- 2-3 handfuls of young nettle leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ litre of vegetable broth
- 4 potatoes
- A ½ cup of cream
- After a tablespoon of olive oil or butter and flour
- Spices for taste: salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme
- Rinse nettle with boiling water.
- Chop nettle and garlic and simmer it in butter or olive oil.
- Blend it into a creamy consistency and pour vegetable decoction.
- Cook it on low fire.
- After boiling, thicken with flour, add sour cream, boiled potatoes and spices.
- You can add a hard-boiled egg.
Tomato Soup with Nettle
- Two handfuls of young nettle leaves
- Three tomatoes or 1 can
- One onion
- Two tablespoons butter or olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chop nettle.
- Rinse the tomatoes with boiling water, peel and cut them.
- Fry chopped onions in hot fat, add nettle and add ½ litres of boiling water.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Spice it with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta or rice.
- 3-4 glasses of young nettle leaves
- Two eggs
- A glass of flour mix of corn and wheat flour
- Water, salt, pepper.
- Chop washed and dried fresh nettle leaves.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Gradually add water so that the dough is sticky.
- Heat the oil and fry the pancakes (from one tablespoon) on both sides on the pan.
Be careful when treating yourself with nettle. It may be perfect for your health but in reasonable quantities and doses. Control the parameters when taking anticoagulants, antihypertensives, diuretics and antidiabetic drugs.